A Baby Story

Saturday, January 22, 2005

OK, so I was wrong...

I do still have nesting instincts and boy was it in full speed today. :D

I was up at 8 am excited about putting the crib together and getting the nursery worked on. I nudged Derrick and asked him what time he was getting up... He wanted to get up around 9:30. So I went downstairs, took the dogs outside, fed them, did the dishes, made myself some tea, heated a blueberry muffin up and came back upstairs. I went online for a little bit to check blogs and boards and couldn't wait anymore. 9 am rolled around and I woke him up. He of course gets up and says he isn't doing anything until he eats something - so like a kid on Christmas I had to wait! :p

Finally he finishes and we put the crib together. Then he brought the changing table upstairs from the living room and pushed the dresser back into the room that has been in the hallway during the painting. We brought the baby supplies up that have been stored in the dining room this whole time and put those where they belonged.

Then it was time to go because I had to drive my mom to the hairdressers which was a fun experience with the snow that had started to fall before I left. Plus I learned the hard way that there was something wrong with my 4WD (it showed that it was on but I was only driving with rear wheel drive - ack!). It made for a slippery drive since I'm not used to driving with a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow - I'm so spoiled with 4WD. So we got back ok and I dropped her off at her apartment as she was going to a memorial for a friend that had died just recently.

I got back to the house and decided to start washing all the baby clothes that I got at the showers and the clothes that family and friends have given us that I hadn't washed yet. I got the baby's bedding all washed and put together in the crib. While we were in the basement, Derrick and I decided to straighten up what used to be our family room as well as the back laundry room. We got all the paints and stuff put away neatly, threw out lots of boxes we were keeping for items we owned, rearranged boxes on the shelves so that things fit better, put the clean laundry away that had been sitting in the laundry room (waiting to be brought upstairs), pulled out the bag of stuff we will be giving to salvation army, and brought down my PartyLite stuff from the dining room to store it in the laundry room (where we have shelving units) since I won't be doing any parties anytime soon. During all this I'm washing baby clothes...

Derrick also reinstalled the railing going down into the basement that he had taken off to move the couches upstairs into the addition, hammered in some nails to hang stuff in the laundry room that could be hung, and brought the adult bed from the baby's room down into the basement for temporary storage. He also brought down from the second floor all the cardboard and packing material from the crib and put that in the garage to be thrown out. In the basement, we also put away some decorations, Christmas gift items, and gift boxes that have been sitting out waiting to be put away.

While I was out with my mom, Derrick had hung some pictures up in the baby's room and decorated it with some of the stuffed animals the baby had received at the shower. He also hung a couple pictures in the family room (addition) which made the room look more cozy.

So in this whirlwind of activity... we now have a normal looking dining room (that isn't being used as a storage facility anymore), a baby's room that has been finished, a living room that is looking somewhat normal (we still have a car seat sitting in a box and the rocker glider my mom got me that we want to exchange for a lighter wood color before putting it in the baby's room), a laundry room that doesn't look like a bomb went off in it, and a functioning finished basement. It's wonderful! :D

I'm hoping tomorrow we can work on the other rooms upstairs and get those straightened up. The office is a disaster and our bedroom needs some work since things were put in there while we did the baby's room. Plus I can't wait to straighten out the garage since Sunday night is garbage night. Hopefully we will be able to stick our garbage out in the high snow banks since we got a lot more snow today and are supposed to overnight.

After all this we decided to have dinner and watched Shrek 2 to unwind and then went to bed since we were both happily exhausted. We were both happy with what we accomplished today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home