First Day of Conference
Today we had our first day of conference starting at 7:30am. We listened to some presentations as we ate our breakfast. Did some meet and greets, had lunch and then they took us out for a tour of the area.
The first stop was at the Texas Institute (Historical Society/Museum). It was interesting to learn about the various cultures of Texas and how they contributed to the history.
Then we went to the Mission of San Jose which was really interesting to see. The tour guide also made us go into a church at the mission. She told everyone that there was a 'service' going on and we'll just walk in and out. The service was a couple's wedding. I thought that was rude that she was telling us to go inside and only stuck my head in the door and walked away. I didn't want to be part of that. After I had walked away (as well as a couple other people) she tried to wave us in and we all just shook our head.
The next stop was the Alamo. Now several people told me that I would be disappointed with it and so I was somewhat prepared for what I was about to see. It was a beautiful structure but the disappointing part was that it was located in the middle of a city/high rise development. The pictures you always see of it make it look like it is in a large expanse of desert. It was beautifully landscaped though.
In the evening we got together for dinner with our coworkers, the director of the library, and some alumnus of our school at Rio Rio Cantina. The dinner was delicious and they gave out HUGE portions. I also had Flan for the first time and I liked it.
The first stop was at the Texas Institute (Historical Society/Museum). It was interesting to learn about the various cultures of Texas and how they contributed to the history.
Then we went to the Mission of San Jose which was really interesting to see. The tour guide also made us go into a church at the mission. She told everyone that there was a 'service' going on and we'll just walk in and out. The service was a couple's wedding. I thought that was rude that she was telling us to go inside and only stuck my head in the door and walked away. I didn't want to be part of that. After I had walked away (as well as a couple other people) she tried to wave us in and we all just shook our head.
The next stop was the Alamo. Now several people told me that I would be disappointed with it and so I was somewhat prepared for what I was about to see. It was a beautiful structure but the disappointing part was that it was located in the middle of a city/high rise development. The pictures you always see of it make it look like it is in a large expanse of desert. It was beautifully landscaped though.
In the evening we got together for dinner with our coworkers, the director of the library, and some alumnus of our school at Rio Rio Cantina. The dinner was delicious and they gave out HUGE portions. I also had Flan for the first time and I liked it.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home