A Baby Story

Friday, December 30, 2005

Surgery for Grandma

Today I had to take my mom to Children's Hospital for outpatient surgery. She was having an older device replaced that helps control her seizures. The surgery got pushed up to 7:30am which I was so happy about since it originally was scheduled later in the day and we had to report to the hospital at 6:00am. So at least the wait would be shorter to have the surgery done.

I was so afraid I would over sleep especially when I couldn't fall asleep until around 12:30am. Around 3:30am I woke up and figured I might as well get up since I had the alarm set for 4:00am. I had to pump some milk and plus put some stuff together to keep myself busy while I sat in the waiting room. Around 4:00am I called my mom to let her know I was up just so she didn't call the house. At 4:30am I was driving over to her house while calling to ask her to put some hot water on so I could make some tea. I was early but didn't want to do anything around the house in case I woke the baby up.

We got down to the hospital around 5:45am and checked into admission. They took her into surgery on time at 7:30am. There were several children in the operation waiting room too. It was a popular surgery day for tonsil removal. I talked with a couple of the mothers that were waiting. One had three kids: her 13 year old was getting her tonsils out today. Her other daughter has leukemia so they are at that hospital a lot. I asked her if it was hard to see your child go into surgery and she said she was a little used to it. Plus she said a nurse took her aside when she broke down crying in the hospital when they told her her daughter had leukemia. The nurse told her that she will set the mood on how her daughter reacts to being in the hospital. If her daughter sees her crying she will not want to be there and having leukemia she will be there a lot for treatments. So she said that nurse helped her out a lot.

When they called me in to see my mom in the recovery part of the operation wing it was hard for me to be there because just across the room was the children's recovery area. It was sad to see the little kids on the gerneys that just came out of surgery. I was glad when they moved us upstairs to the recovery wing. I'm very grateful for having a healthy child and I give a lot of credit to the parents that have children with disabilities or medical issues. Needless to say I gave Elizabeth a big hug when I got home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home