Two Years Ago...
today we were married. Hard to believe how fast the second year went by. Elizabeth started our day off by waking me up at 6:00am. I brought her back to bed and we slept in until 8:30am or so. Derrick's dad and stepmother were leaving today to head back home and so we helped them load up the vehicles and sent them off.
We spent the day being lazy. All of the cabin owners had left today except for one a couple cabins down from us so the place was very quiet and peaceful. Mom and I sat on the dock and stuck our feet in the water after walking along the beach.
The water was somewhat warm so I asked Derrick if he wanted to go swimming when we went back into the cabin. Elizabeth was napping so my mom stayed inside with her in case she woke up while Derrick and I went swimming. It was a little cold at first but it wasn't bad once you got used to the water.
There was a sudden kerplunk and we saw this huge splash and ripple about 10 feet away from us. You would have thought that someone had thrown a very large rock into the water but since no one was really around it couldn't be that. We then wondered if it was a bass that had come into the swimming area. A minute later we saw what made the splash - a loon!

(Image borrowed from www.nenature.com)
He must have popped up his head and saw us and then quickly dived under again to surface further away. It was an amazing experience to be so close to the bird. I never realized how large they were (28-36") since they stay a good distance away normally.
We took some pictures on the dock after our swim (that's why my hair looks so crappy).
The family:


Daddy and Elizabeth:
We spent the day being lazy. All of the cabin owners had left today except for one a couple cabins down from us so the place was very quiet and peaceful. Mom and I sat on the dock and stuck our feet in the water after walking along the beach.
The water was somewhat warm so I asked Derrick if he wanted to go swimming when we went back into the cabin. Elizabeth was napping so my mom stayed inside with her in case she woke up while Derrick and I went swimming. It was a little cold at first but it wasn't bad once you got used to the water.
There was a sudden kerplunk and we saw this huge splash and ripple about 10 feet away from us. You would have thought that someone had thrown a very large rock into the water but since no one was really around it couldn't be that. We then wondered if it was a bass that had come into the swimming area. A minute later we saw what made the splash - a loon!

(Image borrowed from www.nenature.com)
He must have popped up his head and saw us and then quickly dived under again to surface further away. It was an amazing experience to be so close to the bird. I never realized how large they were (28-36") since they stay a good distance away normally.
We took some pictures on the dock after our swim (that's why my hair looks so crappy).
The family:


Daddy and Elizabeth:




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home